Video: More Than 800hp: Mercedes-AMG Hybrid Performance Is Revealed
2023 Author: Natalie MacDonald | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-11-26 13:59
Mercedes-Benz spoke about the power units that will be used in the new generation of sports cars from Mercedes-AMG. They will receive gasoline turbo engines in combination with electric motors, specially designed batteries and special gearboxes. In addition, an original all-wheel drive system will be created for such sports cars.
- The E Performance concept announced by the manufacturer is called "modular" - such power plants consist of interchangeable parts, but are united by a common design principle.
The concept involves the use of a gasoline turbo engine on the front axle in combination with a 14 hp belt-driven starter-generator. The rear axle will be driven by an electric motor in combination with its own two-speed gearbox. The same principle is used, for example, on the Porsche Taycan: first gear for efficient acceleration, second gear for even driving at speeds over 140 km / h.
- The newest electric motor will be able to develop from 70 to 150 kW and 320 Nm of torque. It has its own 6.1 kWh battery with a liquid cooling system, which will maintain a constant temperature of 45 degrees. In addition, this electric unit provides the ability to simulate a differential lock, distributing traction independently between the rear wheels. This scheme is designed to improve handling. Finally, for the electric motor, which will mainly rotate the rear wheels, it is possible to send part of the traction to the front axle in case of serious rear slip.
- All electrical components are combined in a compact unit located in the rear axle area: this should improve the weight distribution of future sports cars. There are already six modes of operation of the power plant (from purely electric to racing), four modes of operation of the drive electronics and four options for kinetic energy recovery.
- Which model will receive the new power plant first is not specified. However, the presentation photos show the four-door Mercedes-AMG GT in camouflage paint, and the manufacturer mentioned that when using a turbocharged V8, the new system is capable of developing up to 815 hp. and 1000 Nm of torque and accelerate the car to 100 km / h in less than 3 seconds.
In addition, the characteristics of one of the basic variants of the E Performance installation have been refined. It is supposed to use a two-liter turbo engine from the Mercedes-AMG A45. But the engine is planned, firstly, to install longitudinally, and not transversely, and secondly, to significantly improve. For example, this engine will use a new supercharger with an electric drive - as a result, this will increase the engine output to 450 hp. It was officially announced that such a power plant will debut on the new Mercedes-AMG C-Class: it will combine a forced "turbo four" with a 150-kilowatt electric unit. The debut date of the sports car has not been specified.
- The manufacturer emphasizes that the work on the new power plants was carried out with the active participation of specialists from the Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 team. A hint of this has already sounded - in early March, when the most powerful version of the Mercedes-AMG GT was officially demonstrated for the first time. At the same time, it was confirmed that the superhybrid will be equipped with a twin-turbocharged eight-cylinder engine.
See how the body of a Mercedes worth more than 100 million rubles is put in order in the News section
Audi SQ8 for Russia: more expensive than BMW X6 and weaker than in Europe in the News section
Prices for the new Skoda Rapid: cheaper than before, but still more expensive than Solaris in the News section
The new Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe in Russia turned out to be more expensive than the BMW X6 in the News section
Mercedes-Benz electric flagship will be more spacious than the S-class in the News section