Video: New DS 4 Officially Unveiled - Now A Cross-hatch With Recessed Door Handles
2023 Author: Natalie MacDonald | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 02:36
The premium division of Citroen, the DS brand, has introduced a new generation of model 4. The novelty, which is officially called “neither a hatch nor a crossover,” has moved to a new platform and has noticeably grown in size, as well as acquired an extravagant interior. Sales in Europe will begin towards the end of the year.
- In DS, the novelty is positioned as an "interclass" transport of the premium segment C for those who are impressed by both traditional hatches and cross-coupes. When developing DS 4, the features of both classes were taken into account.
- The novelty is built on the PSA alliance EMP2 platform. Compared with the previous generation of the model, the wheelbase of the "four" has grown by 63 millimeters - up to 2675 millimeters. The length of the five-door is 4400 millimeters long. At the same time, the DS 4 became slightly wider and lower - 1830 and 1470 millimeters, respectively.
- The DS 4 will be equipped with options traditionally used on more expensive models. For example, the novelty will be equipped with electronically controlled shock absorbers with the possibility of preventive adjustment based on data from the front camera, the latest version of the proprietary matrix optics, 20-inch wheels and an advanced projection display. Electronic driver's assistants are integrated into a second-level semi-autonomous control system.
- A number of original solutions also received a completely new interior. For example, the central ventilation deflectors are integrated into the climate control unit, and the side ones are located on the doors. Gear shifting is carried out using buttons, the power window buttons are integrated into the door panels. There are three screens in the front of the cabin: a dashboard, a 10-inch monitor of the media system and a five-inch touchscreen on the central tunnel.
- The range of engines will consist mainly of traditional internal combustion engines - gasoline turbo engines with a capacity of 130 to 225 hp. and a 130-horsepower diesel engine. However, the DS 4 will also have a hybrid modification: a 180-horsepower 1.6-liter turbo engine and a 110-horsepower electric motor develop 225 hp in total. Thanks to the 12.4-kilowatt battery, such a hatch will be able to drive without the use of gasoline up to 50 kilometers on the WLTP cycle. But the gearbox for all DS 4 is one - an eight-band "automatic".
Four-wheel drive is not provided. Its partial replacement is a special mode of operation of the driving electronics, focused on dirty roads, which will be equipped with the cross-version of DS 4 (another difference is the protective body kit). The release of the DS 4 Cross allows the company's management to hope that the novelty will compete not only with the Audi A3 and Mercedes-Benz A-class, but also with small crossovers like the Mercedes-Benz GL and Lexus UX.
- The production model's exterior, with its recessed door handles, is designed with a conspicuous reference to the Aero Sport Lounge concept, which was unveiled early last year. True, the concept crossover had such unusual elements as a display in the radiator grille, an artificial intelligence system, a straw interior trim and electric motors from a Formula E car.