Video: A Giant Volkswagen Beetle Was Built In California. He's The Size Of A Hummer
2023 Author: Natalie MacDonald | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-21 02:36
The idea to enlarge the Volkswagen Beetle ("Beetle") model of 1959 one and a half times came to the minds of the American Scott Tupper and his father: the story about the project was published on the Ridiculous Ride YouTube channel. The "runabout" was built on a Dodge truck chassis.
- The creators of a monster called the Huge Bug ("Huge beetle") took on the project just to be more noticeable in city traffic. According to them, the Beetle is a wonderful car, but too compact for California roads.
- The fans of the model originally planned to increase the "Beetle" by exactly 50%, but for a number of legal reasons they had to limit themselves to an increase of 40%.
- The 1959 car was disassembled and laser scanned. After that, each part was simply increased by a predetermined amount, and on the basis of the resulting models, drawings were formed for the manufacture of components.
- The original design of the middle of the last century is preserved in the interior of the Huge Bug, but the giant "convertible" has been equipped with a number of modern amenities, including power windows, heated and ventilated seats, as well as Dodge instruments (which, however, are hidden under the dash and appear at the press of a button).
- The chassis of one of the Dodge pickups became the basis for the car, and the Huge Bug is driven by a 5.7-liter eight-cylinder engine.
According to Scott Tupper, the Huge Bug has proven to be so popular that he periodically receives offers to buy the car.